Friday, July 27, 2012

Mariel, Tim and Olympic Fencing


 
Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics will be held today in London.  Team USA has elected two- time Olympic Gold Medalist and World Fencing Champion Mariel Zagunis to carry our flag.   Mariel, a 27 year old sabre fencer from Oregon, is a world class athlete.   In an interview with NBC Olympics, she said, “I'm extremely humbled by this incredible privilege. As an athlete, I can't imagine a higher honor than to lead Team USA into the Olympic Games, which are the pinnacle of sport and a platform for world peace. I am tremendously proud to represent my sport, our team and, most importantly, the United States of America.”

 
Mariel will compete in the Women’s Individual Sabre event held August 1st.    Individual Foil events begin tomorrow and will be broadcast in Jacksonville from 7:30am – 9:00am and from 5:00pm – 8:00pm.  I’m also extremely excited to watch Tim Morehouse compete in the Men’s Team Sabre event on Friday, August 3rd.  Tim’s book American Fencer: Modern Lessons from an Ancient Sport has been a true inspiration for me.  If you’ve never watched sabre before, Tim has created this helpful video which explains the basics of the sport:

I may never get to meet Mariel or Tim, but they have made a real impact on my life.  I’ll be cheering for them through the games.  I’ll be nervous for them each time they approach the en garde lines.  I will be joyful  each time they land a point.  I am proud that they represent me as both a fencer and an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment